Tuesday 23 July 2013

Mother Hubbard’s Cupboard...




The last of the jelly and chutney has been given away and all that is left is a lone jar of jelly that is hiding at the top of the pantry. I now have a lemon tree I can raid when I need to and maybe a grapefruit tree too so there could be some marmalade and lemon honey in the cupboard soon. I have been making lots of scones, cinnamon and date, ginger date and lemon, cheese and cayenne...always good for unexpected visitors, a quick lunch or with homemade soup for tea. Roasted vegetable salads with pasta and sauce, apple crumbles with oat, coconut and spice combinations for a warming dessert.  With the vegetable garden doing so well, hopefully I will have some cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower to make into pickles soon. I can already see some broccoli heads budding and I found some baby beetroot this afternoon, if I stopped giving it all away I might have quite a bounty in my store but anyone that knows me will know that it will never happen. Good food always tastes better when shared anyway!