Sunday 7 July 2013

Alfie And Lola...


Why is it every time I go to pick up chooks it rains? I did take a jar of jelly with me just to show Sonya my appreciation of her gathering together some pullets for me to look at. These are the newest additions to the family, Alfie and Lola that I went and picked up yesterday. They are much younger than the other girls so they have a little catching up to do. I have been keeping an eye out today just to make sure they aren’t getting bossed by the others too much and I spread the food out so they had a fair chance to get some. While they both make lovely little chirping noises, Lola makes this funny honking noise when she feels intimidated which is weird  (considering she is a hen and not a goose) but it is very humorous. Alfie who is smaller than Lola is a bantam cross. 

Every time I look at her I laugh because she has this “feather do” on her head that looks just like Cosmo Kramer’s hair from the TV programme Seinfeld. It’s even funnier when the wind catches it! My niece Olivia arrived just after I got home so she chose Alfie’s name, I chose who was Alfie but it was obvious who that was going to be. Once we got them settled in the run and some feed strewn around for them it was time to go inside to get warm and to make a fresh batch of cheesy scones for afternoon tea and a glass of mango and passionfruit cordial. We polished off the scones and Liv sat down to draw and watch a movie while I rang to explain why someone left gummies in front of Nana Annette’s front door with a jar of jelly nestled between them.

Today I tried to get a few cute pics but they were playing hard to get so hopefully in the next couple days I will win them over. Tuk Tuk decided to crow the other morning, not a proper rooster wake up call just a half crow...must be exerting her dominance because that can happen in all girl groups! One will take on the role of the rooster. This afternoon we had thunder and lightning and wind and rain, it turned dark and cold  so I put everyone to bed, batten down the hatches!