Monday 1 July 2013

Extending The Family...



Today I went out and built a few more nest boxes in the hut. The girls watched intently, probably wondering what I was doing in there but I am hoping I will have two more girls tomorrow so I want them to be comfortable and have plenty of space and a little privacy for when the egg production starts. I gave them fresh hay and scattered crushed sage leaves underneath the hay to deter mites etc. I planted a big pot of seeds today just for that purpose, natural remedies are always first on my list to try. Mint is also another good deterrent too so I am ordering some seeds to pot up.


 

Tonight I have made up a feijoa and apple mix, I am letting it drain over night and then tomorrow I will make up jars of Apple and feijoa jelly and give the mush to the girls. Sooo many birds hanging around to eat what they can but I don’t begrudge them a snack as the weather is harder to find food in. 

I have already given away half the relish so thought I should make some more but need to do the apple/feijoa jelly first then I will go get the other bits I need from the supermarket.