Tuesday 23 July 2013

Birds Of A Feather...



Sunday morning and I am relaxing on my bed with the door open to the balcony letting the breeze and sunshine bathe the bedroom while I fluff on the computer. I heard some scuffling outside but didn’t take much notice because there is alot of birdlife here anyways, until I heard a slight kafuffle...I found that with a sudden burst of confidence the girls have now realised they can walk right around the house where there is an endless supply of goodies to nibble on, places to have a good scratch around and a sunny nook among the ferns and cabbage leaves to snuggle up and sunbathe. Mr has one particular spot he favours, lying against a rustic old sleeper which sits under a punga fern that provides a comfortable and sheltered spot for an afternoon snooze. He didn’t budge an inch when they invaded his little garden paradise but I did hear him having the odd thing to say to them, it seems he actually enjoys their company and they don’t mind one bit. I am now expecting to hear a knock at the door once they discover they can easily get up the stairs.

While they have their protein pellets and grains every day, I do like to try them on different things that have been recommended to me for treats. So far their favourites are finely grated carrot (which they almost inhale), bread and air popped popcorn (few tablespoons in a brown paper bag in the microwave, so easy), cold porridge, kiwifruit and a few other things. They have discovered that in the water channel there is watercress and seem to enjoy a nibble on that as well. Petunia has started to moult so looks like she has been scalped at the moment, all her pretty head and neck feathers are gone. The others are losing lots of feathers but not showing any visible signs of moulting as yet. Still no eggs but I expected that...I still look into the nest boxes every morning in the hope that someone has left me a surprise, unfortunately the only thing I find are huge piles of poo which is no surprise. I don’t know how they manage to sleep at all with the amount of pooping they do but the vegetable garden and compost seems to be appreciating it. The patches they have been weeding along the fence lines and in the native garden look great, now if only I could get them to work their way all around the border of the property I would never need to weed again!