Sunday 11 November 2012

Sunflowers And Blues...



Drizzly day for the garden yesterday but the previous good days have shown their worth. The sunflowers I sowed the other day are starting to show which surprised me as they haven’t been in all that long. Also a couple of cucumber (marketmore and green dragon) are showing themselves, I only planted one seed of each because of space restrictions so its pleasing that at least two have taken. Still waiting on the melon and luffa seeds but only early days. The stars and moon watermelons haven’t taken so far so I might check and then try another couple. The jack-be-little pumpkins I planted are now sitting happily in their pots on an old saw horse out the back next to the rhubarb which is looking so healthy.

I planted out two healthy Queensland Blue pumpkin seedlings yesterday afternoon. Because of limited space, I decided to put them near the compost bin. The space was empty except for some weeds, so a bit of weeding and digging of compost and I soon had a spot where they will get good nutrients but can sprawl out over the concrete and won’t be a pain to move when I need to mow the lawns. Two cut down water bottles placed over them will hopefully provide a snuggly environment whilst ensuring no one gets a sneaky nibble! Just until they are big enough not be such a temptation anyway. So now the small back garden has a mixture of potatoes, corn, beans, silverbeet and maybe parsnip? Add to those a couple of calendula and nasturtium and the rhubarb in its bucket and the jack-be-little’s sitting on the rustic old saw horse and I think I have the start of a good summer garden.



The cat grass, mint and nip are all in the cage now. I can’t wait until they are big enough to bush through the sides of the cage so Mr can roll around and snack to his little heart’s content. I put a small carpet mat on top of the cage the other day and he flopped himself down and stretched out lazily in the sun. It is such a joy seeing him so happy and I have to admit that although he comes and sits with me as I work in the garden (watching what I am doing and talking to me), he doesn’t actually go in the gardens which makes me rather happy. Diesel on the other hand is a different story. Imagine a small, playful elephant crashing through your garden at a million miles per hour...well, that’s my boy Diesel. I shudder to think what the neighbours are thinking when they hear me yelling “Get out of the garden, your squashing the num num’s” or “Arrrgggghhhh get out, GET OUT...Get out of the garden!!!”. He does however keep them amused with his antics in the swimming pool I brought for him. Just a plastic kid’s pool but he loves it! It burns off so much energy and is great to cool off when the weather is hot. And while he is in there, I know he isn’t in my gardens *smiles*