Thursday 8 November 2012

Scrub-A-Dub-Dub



Who would have thought the loofah in my shower was something I could grow?

Browsing seeds last week, I found Luffa seeds. While small these can be eaten like a cucumber or squash but if left to grow until they are larger, they can be cut, deseeded and dried out until they resemble a fibrous scrub commonly known as a loofah. I just had to have these and even though I can’t save seed from them, I’m sure they will be alot of fun to grow. Apparently the fruits form a better shape if trained up a frame so I will need to have a good think where I am going to put them when they are ready to plant out....and what I will do with many a home grown loofah?

I have to admit to giving into temptation and sowing a few melon seeds today and some sunflower seeds as well.  Honey dew, sweet watermelon, rock-melon and charentais melon, just a couple of each and hopefully they will take. Thinking I might have to let them sprawl out across the concrete out back or maybe drape over the kennel or carport. Hoping the sunflowers grow quickly and this time I know to keep a much closer eye on them! I am looking forward to lots of yummy sunflower seeds to munch on and sprinkle on my yoghurt.

It was another beautiful day today here in the capital so I gave everything a good long soak. The tomatoes and capsicum are happy in their new patch and the corn has grown a little taller. Flowers are starting to appear on the potatoes and I am going to have to thin the beetroot tomorrow. In the next few days I will have to find a spot for the banana capsicum plants, those are going to be so delicious roasted or stuffed but I would love to be able to char grill and bottle them so they can be enjoyed over a longer period of time. A good excuse to go hunting for some new recipes I think...