Tuesday 13 November 2012

A Pretty Potted Windowsill...



After whizzing over the lawns with my push mower this afternoon and hosing all the concrete down, I thought I would have a rummage around in the shed and get some pots out ready for sowing some seed. While I have plenty of pots now thanks to some very kind recyclers, I have a shortage of seedling trays so that is another thing I have to put on my wish list and it’s back to the pots. Not one to let the rain piddle on my parade, I chose some appropriate pots and toddled back inside. This time around I decided to sow spring onion, pak choi, marigold, red and green lettuce mix, passionfruit, pink flowering banana passionfruit and another stars and moon watermelon. Still no sign of the luffa’s yet but the sunflowers have all appeared. So at the moment I have a sunny window sill lined with lots of little pots and now I will wait in anticipation. I am going to have to get some seedling punnets soon though so I can transplant once these get big enough. There is going to be far too many for my modest gardens so they will be potted up and offered on the recycle sites once again.


Earlier I made a salad sandwich stuffed with finely chopped bright lights from the garden (as well as cheese, tomato and cucumber, sadly not from my garden yet) it was delicious! What was interesting is that the plants I put into a pot have grown quicker than those in the garden, which leaves me to wonder if my soil is lacking in something? I found an offer of manure, both fresh and composted, so I may go and collect a few sacks worth and put some into the compost. There is some compost ready in my bin but I’m having a little problem moving the tray thingy to actually get it out...a struggle I will wrestle with another day!


I was quite surprised to see cute little flowers on my raspberry canes the other day. They are in small pb bags so I didn’t expect much from them but maybe I might get a chance berry or two. Once they have finished I will pot them up into a more suitable container, as with the currants. Really looking forward to planting out the sunflowers...not quite sure where I am going to put them but somewhere I can adore them regularly sounds like the best idea and that would be either along the brick wall at the back or in the shared space just outside the front door where the tomatoes and capsicums are. There is something so delightful about sunflowers...they always look happy...