Wednesday 7 November 2012

Never Underestimate The Humble Earthworm...


Well the tomatoes and capsicum got planted today, was a little worried about the weather turning but they were taking over my sun porch which doubles as my glass house and I need the room for the new sowings coming up. I brought them from a lovely Irish lady called Sandra who is trying the sustainable ways also, and she sells her extra seedlings to fund her garden. I brought two yellow pears, one red pear, two tigerella, two bloody butcher and one black zebra. She also gave me a capsicum but I think somehow I ended up with two...no complaints though. I hope that I can get some good seed stock from these for future plantings because they look like such interesting varieties. She was very kind to give me some strawberry babies while I was there too and most of those have come away so I’m looking forward to planting them into the herb planter. A ten minute pickup turned into a two hour yap fest about plants, pews and mulching.

More seeds have arrived with a fabulous gift from moon lady Jo. It is a little hessian bag with two of the most gorgeous hessian worms in it. They are so cute! You are supposed to place them under your plants (they are filled with vermicast) and when you water your plant they fertilise it for you. I haven’t had the heart to use them yet though because they are just so lovely. All her seed is grown organically in her garden which was an important factor for me, I want to be able to grow and share good seed and plants with people and maybe they will be encouraged to do the same. At the very least they will have yummy home grown produce and that is not only good for the body but good for the soul.

Having small gardens means I will have to think carefully about what I would like to sow.  I have three zucchini, three “little pumpkin” pumpkin plants, two “blue” pumpkin seedlings, two capsicum and seven tomato (among the others previously mentioned). That is quite alot for just one person but any extra produce will be given to friends or the food bank so I am happy to grow it. I do know I need to plant some melon...there is nothing nicer than a slice of cool, sweet melon on a summers day. Probably should have sown them before now so they could be in the garden already but I’m willing to take my chances and pop a couple of seeds in....those will be harder to share though!