Monday 14 October 2013

When A Barrel Of Laughs Isn't A Barrel Of Laughs...



I woke up this morning, opened the bedroom curtains to find Sugar had got herself stuck through the compost barrel. Im not quite sure how she did it but she wasn’t keen on going back through so sat down and sunbathed until the cavalry arrived. Yesterday she climbed up onto a terracotta pipe and lost her balance stretching herself out to nibble new flower heads and fell into a large shrub which she got lost in, it looked so funny!. This afternoon I heard a stampede coming through the house and it was her and Diesel running through playing together...which of course she was immediately evicted. 


She has a very cheeky side and will push the limits whenever she can. Twice today I have caught her nibbling my berry plants and she knows alright! Cheeky wench jumped off the second time with a kick in her heels as if a show of rebellion.

The second time as well as shouting “Off” I also turned the hose on and gave her a quick squirt with it. Hopefully she will soon learn what is for snacking and what isn’t...goats are very clever!





Today while sorting out a big bag of eggs and some tomato plants for a neighbour, I discovered that I only have one Voyage type tomato...either I’ve lost them, or lost the plot...(could be the case too lol).

I’m sure I had grown about 5 or 6 but I can only find one pot so I decided to plant some more because not only does it look a fabulously freaky looking fruit but I want to be able to share a few with other people and save some seeds.

I also decided to plant Green sausage, peach, Amish paste and another type (whose name escapes me at present) as well.



I moved the table around in the potting shed today so make the best of the sunlight and give access to the windows for when it’s not blowing a gale! The sunflowers that are getting much bigger on the windowsill were swapped around with the smaller ones and everything else watered, turned and spread out. 

Would be great to have a little poly or glass house here to maximise the opportunity of growing but the wind would probably have it in shreds within a short time. 


Thinking some little cold frames made from clear roof sheeting that are easily able to be moved around would be a good compromise. The new garden is looking awesome. I keep adding to it and so far no weeds coming through but lots of worms making it home. If tomorrow is fine (because it is pouring down and blowing a gale here at the moment 1am) I might toddle down to the beach and find some suitable driftwood.