Thursday 3 October 2013

A Goat In My Garden...



Yes we now have a new family member come self propelled, low maintenance weed eater. May I introduce Sugar...the devil horned three month old. She arrived this afternoon looking sweet and innocent, sugar. Little did I know that soon I would hear a persistent chorus of “Maam,maaaaaam, maam, maaaaaaam, maaam maaaaaaaaaaaammmm!!!” which could be likened to an operatic performance with encore after encore and not necessarily enjoyable ones. It put the chooks noses right out of joint, confused the dog and upset the cat. I finally managed to get four of the girls into the run with a bit of bribery but Petunia dug her heels in and sulked on the other side of the house until dark...She eventually went around to the run but even then it was under protest. 

This teeny little fluff ball caused quite a stir with her sudden arrival but luckily now all is quiet and everyone is tucked up for the night. I am sure tomorrow will bring a far more social day and friends will be made. 

Tonight Sugar is snuggled up in the other side of the kennels where she will be off the ground and dry, she is tethered but can go out and snack should she want to. I was going to leave her in the run with the girls for company but they made such a fuss it just wasn’t worth it. She is used to sleeping with two dogs apparently so hopefully she doesn’t get lonely tonight. I had been thinking about a goat for some time now, seemed like the most logical way of clearing the bits of the yard my poor little mower can’t get at whilst being cost effective and earth friendly. And let’s face it, anything that you can do that is good for the earth and free, has to be a good thing doesn’t it? Oh, and she is cute...really cute!