Sunday 8 September 2013

Another Step Closer...



 
At long last the Asparagus is planted. I had to add some more compost and mix to the tub because it had settled but luckily I had enough left over to finish the job. I put some bamboo stakes in just to give the fronds a little support while they establish themselves because we get a tad breezy here on the coast. All together I have five plants, it looks like there are four males and one female so far but that may change as the plants grow. I was watching a tutorial today where a chap picked the ripe berries of his female plants to re grow which I thought was interesting as most people recommend removing them because the spears of the female plants are larger and can be woody. Some others just leave their plants to grow randomly and don’t take too much notice of it at all. I decided to plant mine and see what happens, for the sake of curiosity and because I enjoy the challenge of going against the grain sometimes. 



I already have Purple King Beans and Peas up in the pots I did a few days back. Every morning I take them out to sit in the sun and then at night bring them back in under the veranda. It was quite surprising to see them pop up so quickly and I am now waiting to see signs of life from the others. The other night I planted up some of the seeds I saved from the sunflowers grown last year at the old house. Out of the ones I planted back then only two survived but they were the most magnificent giants and much admired by everyone who seen them. I am hoping that as I have planted about eighty seeds (yes, I know that is alot!) I will have a good germination rate. And if by some small miracle they all grow then I will have a whole yard of sunshine. The rest of the seed I am saving for seed bombing, something I have wanted to do for ages and now I have a partner in floral criminality it will be much more fun!  



It is coming near time to say goodbye to the little garden so to prepare it for summer. I was going to plant it with a heap of corn but then I found some Urenika seed potatoes and had second thoughts. The bright purple colour (sometimes with flecks of white) of the Urenika is quite striking and it holds its colour throughout cooking. It is waxy when small but gets floury as it gets bigger and while it is known as a good potato for boiling or steaming, some swear to roasting as the nicest way to enjoy this heirloom treasure. Urenika has been found to have many more times the antioxidants of modern potatoes, are rich in amino acids and full of nutrients and minerals. I did grow these many years ago using the tyre method which was reasonably successful but this time I want to avoid the tyres and go for something a little more neutral if I can...thinking, thinking...


Yesterday I finally got around to dividing up the Aloe Vera that had been squished up in its pot for far too long. I got halfway through the job and had to do a mad dash into town for more mix because there was alot more to pot up than I initially thought. After a long session of dissection I have twenty five pots of Aloe, each with two or three plants. Enough to replenish my supply, give some to family and put some on the recycling site or at the gate. Aloe anyone?