Tuesday 17 September 2013

A Sea Of Sunshine...



All the seeds are up now except the corn which is probably a couple more days away. Pretty much every Sunflower seed came up so I am going to have many dazzling little faces spreading sunshine around my gardens and I still have a decent sized bag with hundreds more seed in it leftover. Seeing as we have had such nice weather, I have been taking the seed trays out and putting them onto the roof of the house where they are getting a good amount of sunshine each day and then pop them back into the potting shed at night for some shelter. We are still getting a few very frosty nights so I will keep them in there a while longer.

Yesterday I split up all my strawberry plants, put the larger ones into the herb/strawberry planter and the smaller ones into one of the ceramic pots until they are a little bigger. They all seem to have survived the move and once they fill out the planter it will look fabulous and lots of yummy strawberries I hope. 

 The flowering passionfruit got a little battered by the wind in its new spot but seems to look healthy enough. I also planted some beans and peas along the fence line I mentioned earlier by putting them in terracotta pipes. They are different heights but tall enough to keep the chooks from scratching them out by accident. I have two in so far and need to drag a few more from the front of the property to add to the others. It is practical, uses a resource I already have lying around and looks quite snazzy. Once the different plants grow over the netting it should look very cool and can be picked by both sides of the fence.