Wednesday 12 June 2013

Simplicity...



There have been a few changes to the chook nook. I was lucky enough to be given a roll of two metre high chain link so I decided to change the existing plan and use that for a safer run. That meant I needed to remove the lower chain link by removing all the fencing staples (which was a mission) and replace it with the much higher fencing, also moving the gate which I turned on its side and attached on the other side of the run instead. A couple of warratah’s hold the fence firm and although it’s not quite how I want it, I will be able to put the girls in there now and feel comfortable about their safety and can move things around as I go if need be. The best thing about how I have done it is that it can be completely removed when I move and leaves no damage to the property.

Total cost so far, $10 for the feed bin, approx $5 for fencing staples and nails, $10 for a bale of hay...everything else has been upcycled, recycled or inherited. I have a five kg bag of oyster grit to pick up tomorrow which I have brought for $5 and there might be a water feeder and pellet feeder for sale but that depends on the price they want for it. I have read that hanging a cabbage is not only a treat for them but makes a good game to keep them occupied so I am going to use some of the bungy cord I brought for calf coats a few years back with some galvanised wire to make a hanging skewer. 




 
My latest bargain is this lovely wool blanket I found for $3 that was made right here in Wanganui by the old woollen mills. I have seen some fabulous things being made from these, toys, cushions, window blinds (awesome for insulating cold glass windows) and even the coolest kids clothes (skirts, pinafores and poncho’s). Not only a great way of using wool blankets that may not be suitable for bedding anymore but a great way to have something funky and warm for a relatively low cost. Not this one though, this one is way too nice for the chop!



The garden has bounced back a little now after its weeding and I replanted some of the extra seedlings that needed thinning in the rows so the garden will be full of yummies in the months to come. I noticed there is lots of new watercress babies growing in the waterway, that will make a nice addition to a winter boil up and full of goodness too. Also gave the berry canes a trim the other day to encourage some new growth, although they are doing very well removing all the dead wood puts energy into the new canes.


One thing I have spent alot of time reading about in the last few months is the tiny house movement. Gorgeous little homes made from shipping containers, wagons and on large trailers that get parked up semi permanently. They are becoming a very popular way of downsizing to a simple and affordable type of housing, using less of our precious resources. The clever use of design and storage makes these a very liveable option and one I am completely fascinated by. I could happily live in one of these on a little plot with a busy working garden. If you haven’t yet heard of these fabulous little houses check out some of the great house tours posted on you tube. People all over the world are giving up their large homes and big mortgages and saying “No” to spending most of their income on living expenses, opting instead for homes that are functional and cost very little to heat and run. Sure there are certain disadvantages to living in such a small area but with thought and planning they could be a great solution to the ever increasing living costs we all pay and housing shortages which seem all too common. Couldn’t we all do with life being just a wee bit simpler? 

 

I had two lovely little house guests stay for the weekend last, unfortunately the weather wasn’t the greatest so the outdoor projects had to be put on hold and it was movies, games and girly time instead. There must be parents out there in permanent states of sleep deprivation because I know I was completely worn out by tea time Sunday. Here is one of my latest drawings, just in case you can’t guess, I’m the one in the middle...