Monday 24 June 2013

Put It In Your Pipe...



 
 Sun shining, blue skies, light breeze, what a fabulous day to be productive in the garden! I spent most of it outside catching up on little jobs and got a good chunk of my to-do list crossed off.  After watching a great tutorial months ago about having a small compost pile in your vege garden, I decided to put the stainless washing machine bowl I had been using as a little incinerator into the middle of the vegetable garden and start my own. The idea is that any nutrients that are released from the compost don’t get wasted because the plants in the garden are able to absorb them. Once the pile is full and everything has broken down you are left with a nice rich compost which can either be used in the garden or used to plant in.





While exploring the garden wilds at the front of the property, I found a pile of concrete pieces which I thought could make a nice crazy paving around the vegetable garden. I lugged a few bits up so I could get a “feel” for its most valuable purpose but that just created more ideas than I needed. I also found some fantastic terracotta pipes...old drainage pipes maybe? Anyway, these types of finds are gold for a rustic garden. Not only are they creatively useful but they have a certain charm to them and with good placing they can look rather impressive, especially with a tumbling herb cascading from them.


The girls spent much of the day wandering in and out of their run, they are getting more confident of their new surroundings now and it’s so lovely watching them exploring the yard. I placed four concrete blocks under the legs of their hut today to raise it off the ground a little more and it gives them more room to bask under it in the sun which they like to do. They certainly have different personalities and it’s quite humorous watching them do their thing. Petunia loves the beach wood perch, Doris likes to dust bathe the most and Tuk Tuk definitely rules the roost!


Diesel is now snoring on the bed, he is completely worn out. I think we all are actually, after quite a few days of rain and cold southerly winds it was nice to get outside and burn off some energy. I got all the cabbage leaves picked up that were littering the lawn, drainage dug and the grass and soil from it I used to fill the craters in the lawn. All the kennel bedding got washed, paths hosed down and weeds pulled, think we will all sleep well tonight.