Tuesday 18 June 2013

Introducing...Tuk Tuk, Doris and Petunia...




 
On Sunday I packed the cat carriers in the car and drove out to choose and pick up the girls. It was pouring with rain and everything was sodden...including me! I had decided to get three different breeds so we could easily tell who was who, I’m not sure if they are pure bred but that was never a concern for me. Tuk Tuk is a Brown Shaver, Doris is a Barred Rock and Petunia a Black Orpington. 





Tonight is their third night in their new home, I close them into the nesting hut at night just until I feel comfortable that they are safe and then I will let them free range in the run and out in the yard during the day. They haven’t been out of the run yet because it was recommended that they are confined to their run for 4-5 days so they learn this is home. I was given some grain feed for them and with that I have given them oyster grit and lots of fruit and veges. They love banana and persimmon, fresh grass which I am cutting by hand for them until they can leave the run, bread, beets, and carrot peelings. 



 So far, Tuk Tuk seems to be the boss which is funny because she is the smallest. It is quite amusing watching them have sand baths, they get up and shake themselves and it’s like a sand storm. I let Diesel come with me into the run today, all he wanted to do was sniff them but they weren’t having a bar of it and quite a fuss was made. With Diesel ejected from the run, I proceeded to pick up some poo for the garden while the girls composed themselves but not before they let me know how unimpressed they were by the intrusion! They are just so cute and such healthy looking gals, I am really looking forward to watching them graze happily in the yard nibbling grass and nabbing crawlies.


Well it seems winter is setting in, more rainy days than fine and some cold southerlies that send a chill right to your bones. Mr spends every night completely slothed on the bed while Diesel tries to burrow under the blankets at any chance and steal my hotty bottle. Last night I made a delicious apple crumble with a crunchy coconut and oat topping, lovely and warming on a cold night. This week I will make some more soup for the freezer, always a nice lunch or an easy tea coupled with some warm crusty bread. Ah yes, time for warming soul food!