Saturday 5 January 2013

Lazy Sundays...

What a beautiful sunny Sunday! Going to be another scorcher, not a cloud in the sky...glad I gave the garden a good soak last night, it’s going to need it. Diesel left some of his dinner out last night and the birds have been having a ball this morning...All I can hear is donk, donk, donk, donk, donk as they walk across the tin roof, anyone would think they have size nine steel cap boots on the way they clomp around! I had a wonderful day on Friday, picked up my brother and his family from the airport and they came back to mine to spend some time before heading back home. Of course there had to be a tour of the gardens and much discussion on ideas, seeds and recipes. I proudly showed them the jacks which are so impressively cute no matter how old you are and then we oohed and aahed our way around the rest of the garden. The girls got to try a few of the ripe raspberries and they nodded their heads with approval. A few of the tomatoes have ripened, I tried a smaller one and it was delicious. It was really meaty, not very many seeds and had a mellow taste, almost like an acid free. From what I was told by the lady I brought them off their name is Bloody Butcher. I will definitely grow those ones again, absolutely delightful. 


I got to pick my first lot of beans yesterday, eaten fresh from the garden with only time to take a picture between picking and eating. Not only did they taste really good, they have a rather interesting colour to them...green with a mottled chocolate red colour. Unfortunately with the severe wind we had a few days ago the corn and beans took quite a battering but everything else survived reasonably unscathed.   The queensland blue is now sprawling out onto the concrete and has big bright yellow blooms on it, seems not long ago it was a tiny little thing with only a few leaves. 
 


Today I am going to put some of my new seedling punnets to use and plant some beetroot seeds. I pulled up a few yesterday and although they were quite small, they made a wonderful addition to the roasties! Also want to plant some zucchini for a late crop and maybe a couple of different tomatoes. My rosemary has finally had a growth spurt and now is a pretty sizable and attractive looking plant. I put four good sized pieces into the roasties last night and it was so yummy.  And I guess I should try out my groovy new lawnmower kindly passed on by a local freecycler. It will be great to use my clippings for compost or mulch, would take a long time to rake them up otherwise. I will have to remember to get some little mirror pieces when I’m in town next to deter the birds from devouring my tomatoes, I have just lost the bigger one of the two this morning so I wasn’t going to leave it to chance and I gobbled the other one down.