Saturday 1 December 2012

Snippets...



Aaarrrggghhh, when I said the camera died...it did, literally. I am looking for a replacement so hopefully it won’t be long and I can post some more pics because they do brighten up the page!

This week has been a busy one and with all this sunshine the garden is looking better and better. I planted spring onion, pak choi and mixed lettuce a couple of days ago, so far nothing has been nibbled at which makes a pleasant change. The currant bushes have so much growth on them and the sunflowers are half again what they were a few days ago. Even the Queensland blue I squished while doing the compost bin has bounced back. This week I need to plant the melons and luffa, its warm enough now that they should be fine but I still have some planning on where they are going to go. I also have Cape gooseberry and Lavender plants to put somewhere too but a few of those will go on freecycle because I just don’t have the room here.

I am always trying to make little changes in living and lifestyle that are healthy and earth friendly. Even the smallest things can have impact. One of the things I decided recently was to only buy free range eggs. I made the decision to put my money where my mouth was and support suppliers who cared about the welfare of the animals they made their profit from...cause over cost. I wouldn’t keep animals in those conditions so why would I support others who do. I have also been buying organic bananas, it kind of happened by accident but I enjoyed them so much I carried on...I’m sure they taste so much better and the skins are sliced thinly and returned to the earth or compost bin.  In fact anything that myself, the boys or the birds can’t eat gets composted.

Another thing I am looking out for is a pushbike. It would be nice to be able to get around without always having to use the car and maybe I will find my buns-of-steel...I’m sure they are hiding in there somewhere. I am hoping to find an old jewel I can restore, not some fan-dangle mountain bike but something with character, a bit like my pew. The old church pew was a treasure I found that had been painted and then put outside in the weather. Luckily I got it before any damage had been done and it is now sitting in my shed waiting for me to finish the last of the stripping. It is the most beautiful Rimu and even has its little shelf on the back where they used to tuck away the bibles. It has taken a few months just doing bits when I can, there’s no hurry because I don’t really have room for it in this house but one day it will be on one side of my kitchen table. I should try and find some time this week to get a little bit more done but the gardens keep distracting me...