Saturday 8 December 2012

One Man's Junk...


As I have said before, I am a great believer that one man’s junk certainly can be another man’s treasure.  My first example is my beloved pew. I found it on an auction site and to my amazement I won at a final bid of twenty-one dollars. Apart from being painted it is all original and even has its little shelf for tucking the bibles in.


It had been painted white and then at some stage been used as outside seating. Luckily it hadn’t been outdoors for too long before I got to it so there wasn’t any damage from the weather. The poor chap looked at me in disbelief when I told him I was going to be taking it home in my wagon but I assured him I would get it in and I did...us single gals have a determination to get things done because, I guess, we have to. It has taken a few months of stripping in spare time, I have been using my linbide scraper to take most of the paint off but I did invest in a cheap heat gun for the hard to get at places. My hard work has been rewarded by uncovering the most beautiful Rimu, a native tree of New Zealand.

.







My second project is an old wrought iron and glass topped coffee table. This fabulous piece I brought for ten dollars. The girl that sold it to me said it was her grandmothers table and it dated back to the 1950s. It had been white originally but somewhere along the lines someone had painted it a hideous blue colour. Now while I love blue, there are some things that just shouldn’t be blue and this lovely table is one of those. I am considering stripping it back and painting it black but that isnt set in stone. Unfortunately, after I brought the table I wasn’t able to use my car to go get it so a friend of a friend picked it up for me, dropped it off to friend who dropped it off to me...talk about a labour of love. I still owe said friend of friend a morning tea shout, I haven’t forgotten about the sausage rolls...they sound simply divine!