Friday 14 December 2012

Looking Out My Back Door...

I just love the view from my back door. My poor little sunflowers keep getting battered around by the wind but despite that somehow they keep standing tall. All the tomato plants have fruit on them now and the strawberries I planted recently in the herb planter have lots of new growth and flowers. The ones in the pot have a few more fruit on them now which will be very welcome as long as I get them before the birds do. The bright orange and yellows of the calendulas are so cheerful and pretty I can’t help but smile. I love knowing I have grown all these from seed and now they are big healthy plants adorning my garden.

The catnip, catmint and cat grass got a repot today and of course Mr sat and supervised the whole procedure. After getting a morsel of the nip he flopped himself down beside the cage and sunned himself happily. I’m still waiting for them to have a really good growth spurt but one pot seems to be taking off so I will just have to be patient. Pots of melons and luffa sit lined up in the second run, after the hail we had a week or so ago a couple took a turn for the worse so I popped them in there to get some protection until they get a little stronger.

A few days ago while having a wander around I decided to have a pre-salad nibble on some of the edible flowers I have been growing. Borage flowers are lovely, a very refreshing flavour similar to cucumber...the leaves picked while small are still prickly but sliced thinly and added to a salad would be very nice. The nasturtium flowers and small leaves were quite peppery but reminded me of a radish taste, quite strong but as long as your salad wasn’t overwhelmed by them they would make a lovely addition. I haven’t tried the calendula flowers yet because they just look too pretty but once the salad greens get cracking I will have to sacrifice some for the sake of a delightful dinner. Tonight I had a huge pile of steamed bright lights with a couple of slices of fresh wheatmeal bread to soak up all the juice...it was delicious! The jack-be-little’s now have 3-4 little fruit on each one and finally the parsnips have shown themselves, among a ton of weeds I will need to remove shortly. I think I may even have a passionfruit in my castaway box too so it’s rather exciting!