Sunday 30 December 2012

Anyone's Guess...

While I usually have a good success rate of seed germination, sometimes there are seed pots where life seems completely void no matter how much tender care or patience you give them. When that happens I tip the contents into a recycled polystyrene box in the hope something will appear if I just forget about it...and then I start again. It’s a bit of a waiting game to find out if anything will grow and then the interesting part is trying to figure out exactly what it is when it does. So far I have one very healthy cape gooseberry (along with six others that grew when they were supposed to) what I think is a passionfruit (the larger seedling in the picture) but the others I’m not quite sure about yet. I am hoping tomorrow is fine so I can replant them into their own pots which might give them a burst.                    

Today was pouring with rain so Diesel and I jumped into the car and went into town to get a few things. My first mission was to get some more of the longer seedling trays which are fabulous for putting all the punnets in but I also wanted to buy some epsom salts so that meant a trip to the supermarket as well. While dreamily looking through the aisles at all the products and gadgets, I came across some rolls of stretchy plant tie (just like tee shirt rope) so I grabbed one. A lot of people use this because it is soft and stretchy and therefore no harm to delicate stems and branches.Personally, I only use it on certain types of plants because I feel the cloth can become a shelter for pests and disease. Then I found rolls of this awesome velcro tie, less than $8 for just under ten metres but this is reusable...it can be easily put on, taken off and moved around and then used again for other plants. I would wash and disinfect them before using again if they needed it but what a fantastic idea...something that is guaranteed to be used many times over!