Friday 28 December 2012

On A New Year Roll...



Looking out my kitchen window the other day, I caught a glimpse of the most spectacular bright yellow flowers adorning my jack-be-little’s. They have had some before but these were so big and bold I just had to get the camera out and take a few pics. Sadly at the end of the day which had been a scorcher, these had wilted and died but they were quite magnificent while they lasted. The pumpkins are now looking like an actual pumpkin which just tickles me pink. They don’t have the bright orange yet, more of a weird yellow...not nearly as pretty as the flowers. 
 
 






The last couple of days have been much cooler which has been such a reprieve from the sweltering heat we have had recently. I think the garden has appreciated the change in weather also because everything seems to have had a spurt. The only thing I loathe is the wind because it does so much damage...My poor sunflowers which are nearly as tall as me were blown over, the branches of my tomato plants dragged around and tangled together and the borage is now a shadow of its former self, though still attractive to the garden life.  The corn is doing well and is now showing fluffy tops, the beans growing in and around them have delicate little flowers and seem to be showing good health. The queensland blue is now about five times the size it was, even the one my big hoof flattened has bounced back. And the raspberries, both  yellow and red, are heavens kisses...Mmmm! 

A few months ago I came home to a coconut sitting in my carport, I don’t know where it came from or why it was there (strange, I know) but I knew there had to be a good use for it...I just didn’t know what yet. A while later a friend gave me a cute little succulent plant he had bagged up and I just knew that the coconut would make the perfect cocopot...and it does! Hopefully it won’t out grow it too quickly because it looks rather quirky and I am thinking maybe I need to get myself a whole bunch of lovely coconuts?


 







I had such a wonderful Christmas, very busy but worth every minute. Friends gave me a new seed tray complete with seedling punnets and some recycled paper pots which were really handy. The recycled pots are useful because you can plant straight into the garden...this is great for sensitive plants that don’t like being handled. It is also a great way of recycling as they are made from paper waste and they are biodegradable so eventually break down into the soil. The other punnets are separated into four sections which are great, I have had to struggle with punnets with no dividers for awhile now and they can be hard work trying to pull the seedlings apart. Today my bamboo stakes arrived that I had ordered along with a good quantity of the divided punnets to match my gifted ones, so I’m excited about the weekend’s missions. There are weeds to pull, stakes to organize and punnets to plant with seed...