Wednesday 13 November 2013

Patchwork Post...



I thought I would dedicate this post to all the little things I often forget to mention so expect a bit of everything and some random photos, just because I can. Now, where to start...?



Well, the gardens are doing fabulously...the sunflowers are getting noticeably bigger by the day and the Urenika are looking lovely. I have lots of new seedlings coming up, gherkin, dragon fruit, about four more different varieties of tomato, luffa, eggplant, cucumber, pumpkin, chilli and more bantam corn because the ones I planted a couple of weeks ago got nibbled by the chooks and then squished under my derriere whilst trying to wire the fence together. 


Speaking of chooks, I have broody girls. Doris spent most of last week in the nesting box, unwilling to move despite the temptation of treats. She is now back to her normal self but between the four girls I am only getting one, maybe two eggs per day. A neighbour down the road suggested maybe they are hiding them as a couple of his girls did the same but I have searched high and low and not an egg to be seen so I am not sure if they have stopped laying or if they are just very sneaky. They will soon have a new hut though as I have been watching them squash themselves into one nest box to lay despite there being four boxes...seems it’s just the one they like. When two of them get into one box at the same time to lay there is very little room so sometimes an egg will go astray. So I am going to design and build them a new hut with boxes all along the top and a roosting perch which I hope will encourage them to nest in their own “apartment”. This weekend I have two bales of hay to pick up for them so that should keep them happy.


I have another project to start shortly and the two bottles Andy and I polished off on Friday night will be perfect for my trial run. A couple of months ago I started researching how to cut the bottoms off glass bottles to use in the garden for watering the roots of the plants. The idea is to half bury the bottle in the soil so that the water, when put into the bottle, seeps down to the roots where it is needed most. That way there is very little water waste and you know how much water the plant is getting. Some people use plastic bottles but I like the idea of having pretty glass ones adorning my garden. I also have a glass grinder from my lead lighting days which will ensure nice clean edges on the cuts. First I need to find the best way to give them the chop and if you have a look on the net, there are a ton of tutorials on the subject so it might be a matter of trial and error.



Today I emptied out an old single concrete tub that was here when I arrived. It had these lovely tall succulents in it that I have now placed in the little garden around the back that I have slowly been clearing. I still have part of it to bomb out but what I have done so far looks so much nicer and tidy...there was so much rubbish in it!  The concrete tub was full of weeds as well, now it is empty and topped up with soil I will be able to put something in it...maybe the pumpkins or corn?
Oh and I pruned the olive tree...It looks so much better now. I chopped off alot of straggly, dead branches and gave it some shape. One chap said to prune it into a vase shape for easy picking but as much as I tried, a vase it was never going to be. Hopefully though, the trim it has had will bring on some good growth and maybe some yummy olives to process.