Sunday 10 November 2013

Let It Grow, Let It Grow...



The last few days have been absolutely beautiful. The wind has died down and the sun has been shining...and the garden is loving it! I got yet another reminder the other day that I haven’t been posting enough but I can honestly say that when I am quiet, lots of things are being done. While I might not be writing, I am still taking photos of what I am doing so when I update I can show you what I have been up to...I wouldn’t have much to say otherwise! Here are some pictures I took today of how the garden is looking...


I discovered the first Urenika sprouts yesterday, the loveliest green and blackish purple leaves. There are four that have sprouted so far but I planted about seven seed potatoes so some are yet to pop up.



The sunflowers in the small garden are doing so well. They are much bigger and are looking so healthy and strong. The velcro type garden ties I brought last year that you cut to size from the roll have been marvellous for saving them from the wicked winds we have been experiencing here. I think having the bamboo fence to filter the wind has also helped.

 
That front corner of the garden that needs a bomb put under it is now covered in the most beautiful Nasturtium flowers. It is a fabulous splash of colour amongst the natives in the background and really brightens up a normally very dull area. 


Here is the honey and pearl corn which although growing slowly, is growing surely. There are only eight or so plants at the moment but I did plant more seed around them so hopefully I will get more coming up in the next week or so. I have plans for many a cob of corn! I have also planted some heirloom bantam seed in another area so fingers crossed there will be corn for Africa.


 
The tamarillo Mark gave me and the passionfruit I lovingly grew from seed are enjoying this nice weather too. I still have to plant them into the large pots I have but they don’t seem to mind where they are at the moment so I don’t need to rush. 


Alfie and Lola foraging under the olive tree in the sunshine. I need to do some research into olive trees because this one looks rather straggly and unkempt and in need of a drastic haircut.



The last few days worth of eggs. Such a delight to open the fridge and see them carefully tucked into their tray just waiting to be devoured with much gusto.