Sunday 11 August 2013

Much Ado About Nesting...



Petunia has been laying for nearly two weeks now and what a fuss she makes! She sounds like someone is trying to throttle her, both before and after “the great lay” and she makes sure to tell the whole neighbourhood how pleased with herself she is. She is definitely a talker and is quite willing to have a little chat with me when I am outside doing something. I am hoping the others will start nesting soon, it’s going to be fantastic having plenty of fresh free range eggs. The dynamics of group have changed slightly but they all seem to stick together now and explore much more than they used to. 

I can always tell where they have been because of the evidence they leave behind, which is how I knew they found the back door. Petunia stood on the deck yesterday chattering away until I went outside and gave her a snack, this time a spoonful of the cat’s jellimeat which she scoffed without any hesitation. They haven’t found their way up the stairs to the bedroom yet but I’m sure it’s only a matter of time. Tomorrow I think I will make a nice Omelette with all the eggs I have been collecting, Diesel has had a couple on his dinner but I have been saving mine to make something delicious. Seeing as my nieces are here tomorrow I am thinking fresh spinach, cheese and a few other bits in a big shared Omelette for lunch might be quite nice, Mexican beans for dinner  and I have the perfect ramekins to bake our rhubarb/apple and ginger crumbles for later.