Sunday 11 August 2013

Garden Dreams...



The path is not quite finished yet, I still have to put the sides in place and put the rest of the fill and some flat stone down but the grass plot I want to turn into a garden has started to die off which will make it alot easier to dig into and turn over when I get to it. While it will be alot of work getting it ready, once I can start doing all the fun things like making nooks and using large bamboo/manuka poles for climbing frames and fencing (which will give support and shelter while adding a natural element to the garden) I’m sure it will all be worth it. I have lots of large bamboo that will look great around the edge of the garden with climbers sprawling over it. Hopefully by then I will have some nice compost to dig into the soil once it is cleared and plenty of good mulch from the girls. I am determined to have a more extensive garden than at the last house including all those sunflowers I saved seed for and a big patch of corn this summer.




The mulching has worked a treat on the vegetable garden which is looking so healthy and lush at the moment. Everything has grown in size and I have enough now to be able to have a daily pick for dinner as well as nibbles for Lipstick. I must be doing something right because this is the first time my garden has looked so damn good! Very few weeds or bugs or crawlies nibbling on the plants, the soil has good structure...all signs of everything living happily together. I have just been out and chopped the Rhubarb so tonight is crumble night. Unfortunately I forgot to grab some apples while in town so it will have to be tinned apple for this one *gasp* Oh the shame of it! Hehehee. From the bits I planted last year have come about six separate plants so once they are more established I will divide them up and plant some in the garden as well.