Sunday 29 June 2014

Bee Thoughtful...



Not much has happened in the garden lately but I do have some very healthy looking borage, leek, white sage and coriander seedlings which will need planting/re-potting soon. They have done rather well considering how cold it has been lately. The carrots, onions, parsnips and beets in the little garden have been growing slowly but steadily and I look forward to the first taste of the season. 


The lavenders and rosemary I planted at the back of the bathroom have grown quite a lot since I put them in and are now starting to sprawl over the garden bed which is what I had hoped they would do...the smell from that garden will soon fill that end of the house with a clean, earthy musk fragrance and give any bees a quiet garden nook to go about their business. The borage and marigolds that I am growing with be dotted around the garden like I did two years ago which attracted lots of bees and bumbles and made for some quite cool pics. 


With so many bee colonies dying around the world it is a vital that we plant bee friendly plants and try to encourage a safe environment for them. I use all heirloom seeds myself and then I save seed from that seed for myself and to share with others...hopefully they do the same and then it keeps going round, keeping a good source of fresh heirloom seed in the community. Be mindful of any sprays being used around your garden and plant lots of bee loving plants. They need us as much as we need them =)