Thursday 12 February 2015

Other Random Stuff...



I finally found some larger bits of broken concrete for my garden pavers...means my big hooves won't flatten the soil down now. Their rambling appearance gives a inviting welcome and strangely the garden doesn't seem smaller even though quite a bit of it is lost to the pavers.It breaks the garden up and I know I wont be squishing plants underfoot when doing my rounds.



One of the capsicum plants that over-wintered from last year, both survived and are producing well even though they probably could have done with re-potting. Sweet and flavoursome.


A few cape gooseberry berries. They do turn a much brighter orange colour if left on the bush and their lantern like cases become papery and skeletal but they are just so tangy and delicious I can't seem to leave them long enough! 


Now the girls are all laying again and the garden goodies are growing, its nice to be able to take little gifts to friends and family of eggs, veges or preserves. I also made half a dozen jars of blackberry jam the other day so the pantry is looking happier and I have the dehydrator ready for fruit chips, leather and other snacks of the moisture-less kind.


At first I thought these looked like a Hungarian wax pepper but seeing as I have never had those seeds, I can only conclude that it is a stray banana pepper that somehow ended up in the middle of my capsicum garden...they were very tasty anyway.


Our newest family member, Friday. Don't be fooled by the sugary photo, she is a little demon...


The first of the oil seed pumpkins, smaller than I expected but there are many varieties, some only as big as a softball. Its taking a fair bit of control not to cut one open and see whats inside.They have gone from shades of greens to having an orangy tinge to them.