Sunday 28 December 2014

Three Little Birds...



About a week ago Alfie booted the chicks out of the nest and into independence. She spends her days hanging out with the girls again and doesn't want them under her wing anymore, there is work to be done and eggs to be laid. Kentucky is very skittery and runs around like road runner but Bella and Bok Bok (formally known as Marilyn) are getting quite friendly and I can give them a pat occasionally.




They have all found their spots in the new house and the chicks particularly like the left side nest (which is good because the older girls like the right) and the perch above it. They all sit together and there is much ado until they finally settle down for the night. Alfie is rather bossy to them now and has made her own nest in the hay above the house so I leave it just as she does and grab fresh hay from the other end...the things we do huh!



I have enough starter mix for the rest of the week and then I will buy some grower mix but they don't seem to be eating much of it lately, preferring instead to eat fruit, vegetables and foraged food. They have snacked on a few of the hens layer pellets but that can't be helped unless I separate them first thing in the morning...the girls however, will eat ANYTHING and they have no qualms about bullying the babies at all.


I often see Kentucky and Bella eye balling each other in a stand off and it looks hilarious...its like an episode of feathers at dawn. Bok Bok just plods around but he did give me a heck of a fright the other day. I was out the back watching Diesel in his pool when I heard a blood curdling sound coming from where the chooks hang out. Panicking, I ran through the house followed by a dripping wet dog only to find him trying to crow, it really was so cute.