Sunday 21 December 2014

A Gander At The Garden...


There has been so much growth in the last few weeks but the weather so far this summer has had many gardeners scratching their heads or grumbling in frustration. I am just happy to finally see some rewards for my efforts!



Na-nah...here is the first and long awaited oil seed pumpkin. I am so tickled with this wee fella I can't help but smile every time I look at it. All eleven plants are still chugging along happily so hopefully I will see a good crop of these.




And this is a very small cob of the painted mountain corn. There is a few of them but I am a little disappointed in their size considering how long they have been in...I am wondering if I planted a wee bit early? Still, as long as I get enough for seed I will be happy.



 Almost garlic time...




This I am really excited about...I am going to leave mine in for a bit longer because it was planted a little later than it should have been but I must admit to having a little peek at one.




Parsley and naughty amaretta  growing below the broad beans.




Evergreen tomatoes in a hanging basket by the back door...I haven't tried this type before so looking forward to seeing what they are like.




The Urenika potatoes are growing well but will still be a month or so way from harvest. I did have a forage under a couple of plants but didn't find anything substantial.




A view of the garden taken today, hopefully I will soon be able to replace the wood with some concrete stepping stones so my big hooves don't flatten the soil. I planted radish and carrot seed the other day and already the radish has poked up through the soil. The sunflowers are as tall as me now and still growing.




My poor rhubarb has started to grow back after Sugar busted her way through the fence and ate the lot. The worst part was that my niece had pleaded the day before for us to go cut the rhubarb and cook something yummy and I has said we should just wait another few days so we got a good harvest...that goat is damn lucky she is so cute!



I haven't got to the third sister yet but the two sisters are growing great guns at the moment. I have been layering cardboard and hay to keep the weeds down and keep the pumpkins off the wet grass and so far its working well. My efforts to fix the drainage in the tub worked fantastically and they seem to love the sunny position.



The golden egg eggplant is starting to get some growth on it now. I haven't tried this one before so looking forward to seeing what it looks like. It is hanging in a large basket under the veranda and seems to like its spot there. Behind it are cherry chilli's which have been lagging for awhile but are starting to grow now with all the warmth.