Sunday 12 October 2014

Days In The Garden...

Every day is bringing new life to the gardens now. The broad beans have lovely black and white flowers on them now and the peas have cute little white ones. The borage despite its small stature have all bloomed and they are already attracting the bumbles, one who was sheltering (or hanging on for dear life) the other day in our windy weather. 


Yesterday I planted some cucumber, marigolds, beans and fordhook beets. Today I put in all the sunflowers, some basil, Amish paste tomatoes and a few other bits...day by day it is starting to take shape and I can see how beautiful everything will look once we get some more sunshine and things start to get bigger.


Being sick on and off the last couple of months really set back my “Food Is Free” project so I decided a couple of weeks ago to offer my spare seeds and seedlings on a “Pay it forward” group to those who wanted to have a garden but may not have the resources to get started and what a success! I had so many people reply to my post it took me for a six. Some wanted to save money by growing their own, some wanted to make a family garden with their children and would share the extra yummies with others which is always a good thing. 



Heirloom seed meant they could save seed from this years yield for next year, for themselves and to share with others as well. I have to admit I wasn’t expecting such a large response but it gave me warm fuzzies that so many people were interested in feeding themselves and others. I still have a ton of seedlings and more to plant so it will spread even further over the next few weeks. I even got gifted a bag of seed mix as a thank you from one person which I will use for the next lot I plant. The back porch is chocka full of punnets and pots but as I plant or give away it gives me more room for more seedlings. 


 The next job I need to get onto is putting netting over the pipe frame I was given. I decided to use it for growing my pumpkins on this year and see how it works. If all goes to plan they will scramble over the frame instead of sprawling over the lawn and will make a nice cool place underneath for the shade loving plants.