Saturday 26 April 2014

ANZAC Day In The Garden...



 

Today I spent most of the day pottering in the garden. It really did feel good having my hands in the dirt and the sun on my back. 
Diesel and Mr were happily lazing in the sun while I sipped on a nice hot cuppa and planned the first job for the day. 

Time in the garden has been rather lacking in the last couple of months so I wanted to make the best use of the time I did have.
It was great to see that after digging it over a few months back, breaking the soil up and then putting a good layer of clipping mulch on it, my soil is looking healthy...and a little bit like black gold.



 


I am wondering if it is working so well because we had many days of the sun/heat to completely dry the clippings out before we got days of rain, that way they disintegrated instead of becoming a soggy, wet  mess. 





 
 

The chooks have been a huge part of the process with their scratching around in it and breaking up the soil. 
As well as plenty of big juicy worms, it has become a small paradise for much bug life including some very happy ladybirds who scuttled around under the tomato and basil plants while I attached the netting to the bamboo screen. I’m sure that even Gramps would be impressed with my improvements...