Saturday 22 February 2014

Tomato Heaven...

I have already got seeds from the Black Krim and Orange Blossom tomatoes for saving. I am getting two or three tomatoes everyday but still not enough to do much with just yet. Both are sweet tomatoes and very tasty but the Black Krim does seem a meatier type. So far I am very pleased with the results of these two so saving seed is a given. It is so hot here at the moment I have to make sure everything gets a good watering because the soil is getting quite dry. They are loving the heat we are getting though!

 
I planted beetroot, baby carrots and long keeper onions in the small garden the other night and I put spring onions,  green cabbage, flat and curly leaf parsley, coriander and snowball cauli seeds into trays. The trellis I was using to keep the chooks over the other side of the house has seen better days and has started to pull apart so those pieces I have been using for name tags and other garden bobs.


One of today’s jobs was tying up the tomatoes that are wildly climbing the stairs. I have left a few bits sprawled across the steps but most are growing up the balustrade now which looks very cool. I also planted the strawberry shoots which will give me some more plants to replace the ones someone ate, hmmm. The tamarillo and passionfruits have been put into much larger pots and I have about ten dragon fruit plants sitting in a sheltered part of the porch. All of my sunflower, corn, bean and pea seed have finished drying and are sitting in brown paper bags, waiting to be stashed away.


The new garden has been dug over and more little runners been removed. It is actually looking quite neat and I am busily contemplating what I will plant in there. I still haven’t finished the last bit of the bamboo fence so I will need to do that soon but the tepee’s from the small garden have been shifted over to the bigger garden which will give me more room to plant and harvest and provide some crop rotation as well. Despite her many escapes (only to find her lounging in the garden nibbling on my Amish paste, green sausage and zapotecs) Sugar did not completely wipe out the tomatoes in the new garden. Even if I get a decent seed supply I will be contented but it would be fantastic to have enough to make some relish or sauce with.