Monday 10 February 2014

An Orchard Has Exploded In My Kitchen...

There are jars and fruit everywhere! Last week I traded a jar of blackberry jam for a bag of plums so I decided to stew them and put them into the freezer for crumbles or toppings on yoghurt and custard. I got four containers worth so three went in the freezer and one in the fridge for snacks. Then someone offered me some grapefruit and lemons which I wanted to make some marmalade, so I thanked him with a jar of my tangy mustard relish.


While I was there he offered me some jars so I took the chance to increase my jar collection and then I don’t have to give away all my special ones (yes I have special jars). My enthusiasm quickly diminished when I got home and realised that while some labels peel off easily after a little soak...others have glue that could only be compared to cement. Why they need to use something so potent to stick a paper label onto a jar completely baffles me but I persisted and finally won the battle. I now had a bench full of gleaming glass jars. Me 1, Glue 0.


Now while some of the grapefruit didn’t look very pretty, inside was the most juicy, sweet flesh. After giving them a good wash and picking the best ones I sliced them thinly and removed as many pips as I could. I wanted the slices to be thinner this time because the last lot I made, although delicious, was a bit too chunky for my liking. And it’s all about making things to taste isn’t it? 

When it was all sliced up, I gave it a rough weigh to see how much I had and then put them in a large pot, covered with juice and water to sit overnight. I used more juice and less water because I thought it would give the marmalade more flavour. This afternoon I got busy sorting lids and jars then put the fruit on to simmer. While my marmalade was cooking I washed, halved and stoned another bag of plums to put in the dehydrator. Those plums I traded for another jar of blackberry jam and I ended up with four trays loaded with the most beautiful sweet plum halves. If you want a really lovely plum tree for your backyard then try the “Hawera” variety. They are so tasty and very easily halved and stoned...one that is definitely going on my wish list!


Now back to the marmalade, I got nine jars in total which I thought was quite good from just over, give or take, 1.7kgs fruit. All my lids have popped and it has set nicely so I am quite happy with today’s efforts.


Tonight I was able to sort out all my seeds that have been drying under the veranda. There are quite a few corn and more sunflowers to come so I will have a reasonable stash and hopefully a good strike rate. It’s such a nice feeling to know that this year I won’t have to buy any of these seeds as my seed bank is growing, especially seeing as these are ones I absolutely want to grow again. It was lucky I grabbed them when I did because Sugar got into my smaller garden and cleared it out, needless to say, I am keeping one step ahead of that mischievous she devil now. 

 
The tomatoes are starting to colour now and I discovered the one I have been eagerly awaiting, ”Zapotec Pleated” just look how funky this little fella looks! I can’t wait to tenderly pluck him from his stem, carry him gingerly into my kitchen, and proceed to butcher him with the sharpest knife I can find for my lunch *evil laugh* Just to see the unusual shapes and colours will be fantastic. 


Well its time for me to toddle off to bed, hope you have enjoyed the latest post.Any hints or ideas are always welcome, just message me for a chat, subscribe or follow to get regular updates.

*waves goodnight*