Sunday 3 February 2013

Sacked and Bamboozled...



It has been such a busy week, I feel quite neglectful of the blog but I have accomplished alot of missions that needed attention. Earlier in the week I contacted a few places and got a reply from a lady who kindly offered some coffee sacks for me to play around with. The more I thought, the more I realised just how versatile these could be and how many things could be made from recycling them. I chose some with a tighter weave for the catnip toys but the loose weave sacks could be used for all sorts of projects.  Apparently some people use them for making clothing...the mind boggles!

The next wee job was collecting some bamboo. I had an offer for some lengths of bamboo of decent size but only on the condition of taking and disposing of all the waste that came from it. Now while that was fine by me, I think I underestimated how bulky all the bamboo tops would be. Each length gave me two very decent sized stakes so with all the waste as well it shows just how long they were. Once I had carried them up to the road I had to cut them to fit in the wagon and stuff all the waste on top of the stakes. Then when I got home it all needed a proper trim up and then the time consuming job of gathering the waste up and bagging it. At the end of it I looked like I had been put through a paper shredder a few times but I had fifty something tall, sturdy stakes to show for it.



Now with all this hot weather the garden has been doing well but the poor lawn is frazzled to a crisp. The queensland blues have about half a dozen pumpkins on them all just under a foot in size. The jacks have some ready to remove and more coming through. Tomatoes are providing at least a couple daily but usually more, the luffa has climbed right up the bamboo trellis I made for it and is now forming buds. The zucchini is still a little slow (thinking it doesn’t like it where it is so I know for next time) but I have a couple of cucumbers about fifteen centimetres long now so hopefully I will get something off them before we lose summer! The melons have grown lots, plenty of flowers and the start of melons but those I fear will run out of summer to have anything substantial on them. The one I am most proud of though, is my sunflower that is now nearly twice my height...an absolute beauty and just starting to show its face to the world. I do hope I can reach all those yummy seeds, might have to get the ladder out!